There are four Swoops seasons every calendar year, with each season spanning 13 weeks. Much like our NBA counterpart, those 13 weeks are broken into a preseason, a regular season, a post-season, and an off-season.
WEEK 1: (8/21/2023 - 8/28/2023)
Preseason Games (stats and team records do not count)
WEEKS 2-11: (8/29/2023 - 11/5/2023)
Regular Season Games and Tournaments (stats and team records count)
- 9/5/2023: SOA Cup Tournament (Live Streamed)
- 10/10/2023: Rookie Fest Tournament (Live Streamed)
- 10/12/2023: All-Star Tournament (Live Streamed)
- 10/26/2023: Global Open Tournament (Live Streamed)
- 11/1/2023: Swoopy Award Finalists Announced
- 11/3/2023: Last Day of Regular Season + Swooper Bowl Seeding Lock
WEEK 12: (11/6/2023 - 8/12/2023)
- 11/6/2023: Swooper Bowl & Bronze Jug Lineup Lock
- 11/7/2023: Swoopy Award Show (Live Streamed)
- 11/7/2023: Bronze Jug Tournament
- 11/7/2023: Swooper Bowl Lineups Revealed
- 11/8/2023: Swooper Bowl - Round of 64 (Live Streamed)
- 11/9/2023: Swooper Bowl - Rounds of 32 + 16 (Live Streamed)
- 11/10/2023: Swooper Bowl - Rounds of 8 + 4 + Championship (Live Streamed)
WEEK 13: (11/13/2023 - 11/20/2023)
- 11/13/2023: New Season Features Unveiled
- 11/14/2023: Player Evolution Day
- 11/15/2023: Mint Day 1 (Presale)
- 11/16/2023: Mint Day 2 (Public)
- 11/17/2023: Player Reveal Day
- 11/18/2023: Training Camp Day 1
- 11/19/2023: Training Camp Day 2
Every basketball playing robot needs to dust off a little rust after an offseason, right?
WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE PRESEASON?
EXPERIMENTATION, that's what!
As is the case in the real world, the preseason is a risk free window of gameplay that allows team owners to get a feel for their squads. Many owners will have just bought a new batch of Swoopsters from the latest player mint, and will use the preseason to get used to their new roster.
The proprietary Swoops Simulator takes things like player chemistry into account, which means a new player inserted into an existing lineup can either disrupt what you've built, or in the fortunate cases, that player may fit in right away and elevate your squad. You won't know which lineups work best with the talent on your roster until you test out a few different combinations.
Take this week long window of games to learn about your players and teams without worrying about your team's record or player stats. All preseason player and team stats will be wiped heading into the regular season.
The road to the Swooper Bowl title starts in the regular season.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE REGULAR SEASON?
It's the chase for the Swooper Bowl!!!
The Swooper Bowl is the most prestigious tournament in all of virtual basketball and the chase for the title begins week two of the season. Once the preseason ends, the regular season begins, and all player and team stats stick.
The strongest of owners will have done their due diligence in the preseason to determine who their strongest players are and what their most effective lineup or lineups look like.
THERE'S AN ALL-STAR EVENT?
Not just an event, an All-Star TOURNAMENT.
We said we'd take the best from the NBA and leave the worst, so that's what we're doing with our All-Star Tournament. Rather than two teams playing a meaningless exhibition, we'll have our 40 strongest Swoopsters broken out into eight teams, chosen by owners within the community, battling it out for pride...and CASH.
Yes, pride is great and all, but pride AND cash is better. Every owner of a player voted into the All-Star tournament will get a cash reward, as will the captain of the winning team. In addition, every owner of a player on the winning team will get an additional cash prize. That's a lot of cash and incentive to win the tournament, right? Maybe something to think about, NBA.
It's hardware season in the Swooperverse!
WHAT ARE THE SWOOPIES?
What AREN'T the Swoopies, more like.
The Swoopies are our end of season awards, given to the best players, team owners, and general managers within the Swooperverse. Awards include:
- MOST VALUABLE SWOOPSTER
- DEFENSIVE SWOOPSTER OF THE YEAR
- GENERAL MANAGER OF THE YEAR
- OWNER OF THE YEAR
- ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
- MOST IMPROVED SWOOPSTER
As is the case in the NBA, as players win awards, their market value often goes up. Similarly, in the Swooperverse, when one of your players wins a Swoopy, the value of that player and your team as a whole, can follow a similar trajectory.
WHAT IS THE SWOOPER BOWL?
If March Madness and the NBA Playoffs had a baby, it would be the Swooper Bowl. Here's how it goes down:
- STRUCTURE: A 64-team tournament.
- QUALIFYING: The top-64 teams by Swooper Points (SP) qualify for the tournament.
- TIE-BREAKERS: In the case of a tie during qualifying, we will use three tie breakers (in order): 1) Overall win %, 2) Head-to-head record, 3) Head-to-head point totals.
- SEEDING: Similar to March Madness, we’ll have four 16-team brackets, each producing a Final Four participant. Seeding will be based on Swooper Points (SP), with the top four teams with the most SP getting the number one seeds, so on and so forth.
- FORMAT BY ROUND: Similar to the NBA Playoffs, winners of each round will be determined by a series of games. The first two rounds being best of three (i.e. first team to two wins, advances), the next three rounds being best of five, and the championship round, as it should be, ending with a seven game series to take home all of the marbles.
- PRIZING: And by marbles, we of course mean CASH. That’s right, the winner of the Swooper Bowl will pocket a cool $6,000! Not only that, EVERY qualifying team will win some level of reward. All prizes will be paid out in ETH.
It's the most wonderful time of the year...
WHAT HAPPENS IN THE OFFSEASON?
It's hope season!
Every team is undefeated, with their eyes set on winning the next Swooper Bowl. The week starts off with player Evolution Day, the day in which your players age a full year and their skills evolve (either positively or negatively), which can change the complection of your roster.
After Evolution Day comes our seasonal player mint, your chance to buy one or many brand new, never before seen Swoopsters. Each new Swoopster comes unrevealed, which means you won't know what kind of player you've bought, what they look like, their position, or their attributes, until Reveal Day.
Finally, we have player Reveal Day, the best (and most literal) birthday of all Swoops birthdays. Reveal Day is the day in which your once unrevealed players are revealed and born into the Swooperverse. It's on this day that you will see how your new Swoopsters look, the position(s) they play, and their skill scores for the first time.
If you love opening presents or a new pack of sports cards, you'll love Reveal Day.
Well there you have it, 13 weeks of absolute joy. Happy hooping owners (how cool is it to own your own basketball team??), we'll see you on the court.